Located in the grounds of Loreto College, the building is sited in close proximity to the historic Convent Chapel and the gothic facades of the residential and schoolroom wings, dating from 1882.
Originally the St Anne’s Parish Primary School, the 1908 federation classrooms have been restored and remodelled into a gallery space, housing the Loreto collection.
Flanking new wings contain a conservation workroom, controlled environment repositories, of ces and a reading room. A glazed intermediary zone highlights the newly restored heritage brickwork, and provides a reception area for visitors.
The tesseract forms of the new wings draw garden views and natural light through the interior spaces. Double glazing and ltered glass have been adopted to maximise light, while protecting artefacts on display.