This new kitchen and dining room were part of a larger refurbishment of an existing 1950's courtyard house in Sydney's eastern suburbs.
The aim of the refurbishment was to maximize views from the kitchen to Sydney Harbour, and provide a 'fluid' space between the kitchen and dining area whilst still providing some separation between them.
The response was to demolish the existing 1950's kitchen servery and insert in its place a continuous benchtop with overhead cupboards. The fluid cantilevered form of the cabinets is highlighted in a contrasting blackbean veneer, which matches the original joinery of the house.
Given the open plan of the dwelling, the kitchen is finely detailed so that it appears as a 'joinery' piece rather than as a traditional kitchen. The circular motifs of the original dwelling are replicated in the fluid cabinet forms and the choice of light fittings and flooring.