Located in Sydney's CBD and close to the harbour foreshore, Opera House and shopping precinct, the Establishment Hotel is a mixed use development integrating a contemporary nine storey tower with the conservation and adaptive re-use of the heritage George Patterson house ruin.
It includes boutique hotel accommodation with 35 suites, 15 bars, fine dining restaurant, function room,s gaming room and two storey nightclub.
AL & G McCredie & JW Ashcroft originally designed the building as an emporium and warehouse for a colonial ironmonger and merchant. Construction of the original building was completed in 1895. In 1996 a fire destroyed almost half the George Patterson building including part of the victorian-free classical facade facing George Street.
The most fire ravaged area is adjacent to the old water tower, between the tank stream 'warehouse' building and the George Street 'Emporium' building, leaving a charred void separating the building into two portions.
The remnants of existing structure have been retained and up to three missing levels have been re-built to the original heights of the George Patterson building on the west and the east side of the charred void space.
Original cast iron columns have been retained throughout the lower levels and within this space beneath the new glazed roof structure supported from the jagged walls. The public is left to interpret the history of this buildling though this ruined space and other spaces similarly destroyed by the fire.